Sportsman's Daily


TSD’s Investigative Series: Searching for Dorian Boyland

Part Two: Incident at the Econo Lodge

Dorian Boyland Baseball Card

Non-Smoking Gun Room Please. After the Moriarty’s incident at an Econo Lodge in Dayton, Ohio – they began to rethink their quest.

DAYTON, OH (Sportsman’s Daily Wire Service) Dave Moriarty and his son Barry began their journey in search of the elusive Dorian Boyland on July 22, 2008.  They left their Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania home at 8:30 in the morning and stopped for breakfast. Knowing they would be stopping along the way to ask a lot of questions, they didn’t set their final destination too far away.  They chose Dayton, Ohio.  
Boyland had played throughout the Rust Belt and the Midwest before finally making the big leagues in 1978.  As his legend grew – the stories of his titanic homeruns soaring into the stratosphere generally dominating the conversation – so did the mystery surrounding him.  He was after all the man who would replace Willie Stargell, a hero in the steel city.  Moriarty reasoned there must be plenty of people who saw Boyland play in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana in his early days.
After a day of stopping at tucked away baseball fields scattered along Interstate 70,
Dave and Barry checked into an Econo Lodge just outside Dayton, Ohio.  
“Not much today,” said Dave referring to the locals’ lack of help in searching for Boyland. “A lot of raised eyebrows and scratched heads mainly.”
Dave Moriarty would not be deterred however.  His quest to find “The One Who Would Replace Pops” would indeed continue – or so he thought.
At about 7:00 PM, Dave and Barry decided to call out for a pizza. The plan was to enjoy their dinner while watching a Reds game on TV.  The pizza arrived – mushrooms, onions, and black olives. It was pretty much polished off by the fifth inning. The game  itself, with the Reds hosting the San Diego Padres, was a pretty good one – a pitchers duel that the Reds would eventually win 4-3 in eleven innings.  
But Dave and his son would not see the final outcome of the game that night.  
In the next room a lover’s quarrel escalated into gunshots being fired. One of the bullets came through the wall of their room, right through a painting depicting a lovely Tuscan villa and shattering a mirror over a desk. The bullet fragments landed on a postcard that said Welcome to Dayton.
The suspect was Miranda Hinkle, a 37 year old beautician who walked in on her husband Carl, a member of the local welder’s union, and their 19 year old babysitter, Ashley Harris, who eyewitness Richard Spak described as “one delicious little piece of ass.”  
The police came and questioned Dave and Barry just about the time Jeff Keppinger’s walk off double scored Jay Bruce. The investigation team collected evidence.  Hotel management moved Dave and Barry to another room.  They’d have preferred another hotel.  
Dave was beginning to wonder if the search for Dorian Boyland was actually worth it.
“I began to contemplate, given the Econo Lodge thing, if trying to track down a player with only nineteen at bats in the bigs was such a smart idea,” said Moriarty. “I was trying to grasp the distinction between cinematic childlike enthusiasm with mad obsession. The pizza was decent though.”  

Next Week - Part Three:  The Seventh Inning Stretch Limo.

Read more features


The Authors of The Sportsman’s Daily

Charles Epstein Headshot


TSD Editor-In Chief and TSD Weekend Show co-host.
Read bio

Tom Alexander Headshot


TSD Executive Editor and TSD Weekend Show host.
Read bio

Angelo Vecchio


DC's Foremost Authority on His Own Opinion
Read bio

Angelo Vecchio


Helsinki Rinki with Katie Rinki
Read bio